A Technical Agenda is required for Resource Allocation.
To do a Technical Agenda requires that the functions
we support (i.e., operations) have a strategy which is
stable over a 5 to 10 year period.
We are prepared to hypothecate such a strategy so we
can go forward in a unified way. However, there is one
avowed strategy - To Be World Class in Manufacturing by
achieving Exceptional Yield Performances - which is
already widely accepted.
Exceptional Yields (i.e., above 98%) are not achievable
by an evolutionary/incremental improvement in the
efficacy of current practices. What we need is a Step
You have a group that has studied Organization Learning
and I have led Step Change implementations, therefore
we are prepared to offer assistance to those
charged with making Step Change improvements in
Step Change improvements will not come about:
- by lecturing or dictating to Du
- by relying solely on Du Ponters,
- by improving existing methodologies or
- without some proactive intervention, and
- without an organizational predisposition to learn.
Step Change therefore requires:
- Participatory involvement and
receptivity by those who will be affected,
- a Paradigm Shift in the way we approach First
Pass Yield improvement,
- External stimulus from outsiders (e.g., consultants),
- Commitment by senior management, and
- A culture which allows mistakes and encourages
The Paradigm Shift in the way we go about achieving
Step Change includes:
|Asking How & What
||Asking Why, first
|Dividing to Conquer
||Integrating to Conquer
|Knowing and Telling
||Listening and Asking
|Fixing and Doing
||Curing and Thinking
|Short Term Optimization
||Long Term Optimization
To get this Step Change Improvement Process started I recommend:
- A Step Change Committee be formed consisting
of persons from your department who might become
Chairpersons of Yield Improvement Teams.
- This Step Change Committee would exchange issues and
ways of going about executing a Step Change improvement.
- The Step Change Committee would be charged with devising
a Step Change Template which would have general applicability.
- Commitment by senior management and The Step Change
Template might include things like:
- Relevant Accounting and Benefits
- Ways to seek out and listen
- The Step Change Paradigm Shift
- Ways to Instrument, Model, Simulate and Experiment
- Planning so everyone WINS with Step Change
- Checklists and Questions to stimulate Creativity.
The benefits would be:
- Actionable template which could
- The beginnings of a New Way of problem solving,
- Confidence in tackling challenges of the '90s, and
- Renewed respect for the Technical Function.